I must confess, I am a people avoider. I shouldn’t have to explain much, other than the fact that I attract those with the KRZY vibe. That being said, I have to take precautions. Since some of you seem to be like me, I thought I would share my tactics because you never know what we can learn from each other. Feel free to share a couple of yours, if they are good ones. 🙂
How to Effectively Avoid People
1. I usually use the stairs. Stairs equal less people.
2. When I do use the elevator, I usually try and press the “door close” button right away. You don’t want to get stuck in the elevator with people and have to use small talk. Ugh that is a killer. Like I care what you did this weekend.
3. Sometimes I have to go hide in the bathroom. Just to get some peace.
4. Caller Id is the best thing ever invented. I swear, I wasn’t at my desk….
5. Uh huh. Yes, I agree. You are so right on that one! I can definately see your point. Are all phrases you should use when you want someone to think you agree with what they are saying. This, in the long term, gets them out of your office faster.
6. Find hiding spots for lunch, breaks and nap time. Otherwise, people will attack you during your break time with projects.
7. Sometimes it is ok to hide under your desk.
8. Being sick at work is a good thing because it keeps the masses away. Think of it like your own personal bug spray.
9. It is important to feign ignorance because you don’t want people to think you are too smart, they will only ask you to do more.
10. Pretending to use a cellphone is key. I pretend to check my voicemail in the elevator, when people get in. I pretend to use my cellphone at my desk. I pretend to use my cellphone wherever I go….that way, I appear busy, unavailable. This equals no time for small talk. Use it to your advantage.